Tempered glass is glass that has an extra procedure done to it to make it multiple times stronger. The procedure involves heating the glass up, and then cooling it down rapidly. This process makes the glass stronger and also changes the way the glass breaks. The glass shatters into small blocks that are much less likely to cause injury. This is the reason why Tempered glass is also called Safety glass. Here are the scenarios where tempered glass should be used/where it’s required for safety reasons:
When to Use Tempered Glass
- Glass in any door
- Glass in any kind of shower, bathtub area, hot tub, steam room, sauna or whirlpool area where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60 inches above a standing surface and drain outlet
- Glass in fixed or operable panels adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing is within a 24” arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60” above a walking surface:
- Glass in fixed or operable panels that meets all of the following conditions:
– Bottom edge is less than 18” above floor
– Top edge is greater than 36” above floor
– Total area of glass is greater than 9 sq. ft. (1296 sq.in.)
– One or more walking surfaces within 36” horizontally of the glazing
- Glass in walls used as a barrier for indoor or outdoor swimming pools or spas when the bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60” above a pool side of the glazing and the glazing is within 5 feet of a swimming pool or spa deck area
- Glass in walls enclosing stairway landings or within 5 feet of the bottom and top of stairways where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60” above a walking surface
Looking to Replace Windows or Other Glass Structures with Tempered Glass?
Florian Glass Service is offers and installs tempered glass as well as many other glass products and services for buildings commercially and residentially. They serve the Essex County, Hudson County, Bergen County, Passaic County, and NYC areas in towns such as Hoboken, Norwood, Jersey City, Fort Lee, Short Hills, Wayne, Totowa, Hackensack, Wyckoff, Glen Rock, Leonia, Oakland, Garfield, Hasbrouck Heights, Essex Fells, Manhattan, and many more!
For more information on this glass contractor or other glass services or products, you can contact them today at(201) 863-4770 or visit the website.