Skylights can have a lot to offer to any home and homeowner. With similar benefits as sunrooms, not only do skylights add natural night to a room, but they also create a better ambiance that can bring a room to life. Today, we are going to talk about the benefits that the natural sunlight from skylights can provide for you.
Advantages of Skylights
Natural sunlight is a free and available mood enhancer. It encourages us to produce vitamin D and protects us from seasonal mood changes. Adding a skylight will fill a room with this much needed light. Poor lighting in general can cause eye fatigue and headaches, which can make us feel depressed or ill. Insufficient natural lighting can trigger depression and even have a negative effect on our immune system. Bright lighting from a skylight can stimulate the mind while dimer illumination quiets our senses and can make us feel drowsy. Natural lighting allows for faster recovery from illness or operations as well. Sunlight can also help to lower blood pressure, which can lead to reduced stress and a variety of other health benefits.
As you can see, proper lighting, especially that from natural sunlight provided by skylights, can be extremely beneficial for the body. Now let’s talk about some other advantages skylights.
- Reduced energy consumption. Decreased dependency on artificial lighting can help reduce the use of electricity by as much as 10% and lower heating bills.
- Reduction of mildew or mold buildup. Many diseases, especially chronic respiratory problems, are often associated with bacterial and fungal buildup in damp areas such as basements and bathrooms. Natural lighting can naturally lessen the production of harmful organisms.
- Vitamin D. Ample amounts of sunlight can prevent vitamin D and B1 deficiencies that may cause diseases such as rickets and beriberi.
- Improved performance due to change in working environment. Many case studies have been conducted that show significant improvements in employee performance where natural lighting has been introduced into their work environment.
- Increased visual appeal to interiors. Natural illumination is still the best type of lighting system used in interior design. It can be a challenging, yet rewarding task to successfully incorporate natural light into a structure or building. Daylight provides better aesthetics, better color, better definition of space, and highlights architectural details.
- Increased property value. A skylight addition, like many other building additions, can slightly increase your property value.
Florian Glass Service makes and installs skylights commercially and residentially in the Hudson County, Bergen County, and NYC areas in towns such as Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, West New York, Secaucus, Guttenberg, Teaneck East Newark, Kearny, Cliffside Park, Saddle Brook, Saddle River, Fair Lawn, Englewood, Edgewater, Tenafly, Fort Lee, Alpine, Rutherford, Manhattan, and many more! Contact them today at (201) 863-4770 or visit the website.
Northeast NJ Skylights Home Page