Glass railings can add a modern and pleasing to the eye look to any deck, balcony, staircase, or ledge. Glass railings are great for deck owners whose primary concern is the safety of their little children and pets. In traditional glass railing designs, the spaces in between the panels are tiny so little hands, feet, and heads are less likely to be stuck in between. Because the panels are clear, you can both enjoy the view of your outdoor living space and watch the kids as they play, while you sit back and relax in your lounge chair. Glass railings are also referred to as “invisible railings” because the rails do not block or break up the beautiful view from the deck. Today, we are going to talk about the pros and cons of glass railing:
Glass Railings Pros
- Lower maintenance – Unlike hardwoods that need regular care and maintenance, decks with glass railings do not need to be stained, treated, painted or finished to maintain their beauty and durability. This is an important benefit because decks are continuously exposed to the sun, wind, and water, so weathering is inevitable… but not with glass! Glass railings require almost no maintenance, except regular cleaning with a squeegee, soap, and water.
- Treated glass and aluminum posts do not corrode – glass panels and treated aluminum posts do not corrode when exposed to water. With proper materials, you will have unobstructed views of your decks, without having to worry that the materials will corrode over time as they are exposed to weather and water from your pool.
- The glass surface tolerates extreme temperatures better – Unlike hardwood railing materials, glass railings are not vulnerable to surface cracking. Glass railing systems are specially manufactured, offering excellent durability. Tempered glass panels do not shatter even when cracked, so they are safe and sturdy.
- Highly customizable – If you are looking for added privacy, you can choose the exterior panels to be frosted. If you want more visibility, transparent glass is the best choice. View obstruction has always been a major issue with wood and metal railings.
- Easy to assemble – Glass railings are easy to install for both new installations and deck upgrades.
Glass Railing Cons
- Cleaning and maintenance – You should be prepared to keep the glass panels blemish and fingerprint free by regular cleaning. The panels may be prone to smudges from kids and pets, and of course deposits and drips left by bugs and birds. While glass railings require way less maintenance than hardwood deck railings, you should still consider this factor.
- Price – Standard decks constructed from composite materials won’t bore a hole through your pocket, that’s true. But you should be prepared to spend extra if you decide to add glass panels to your deck rails.
- Lack of privacy – while glass railing allow you to enjoy uninterrupted views of your surroundings, they also allow passersby to see you and your decking activities. Fortunately, you can choose the glass panels to be frosted, especially for greater protection around hot tubs and private areas in your deck.
Florian Glass Service makes and installs glass railings for decks, balconies, stairs, and any other ledge for clients in the Hudson County, Bergen County, and NYC areas in towns such as Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, West New York, Secaucus, Guttenberg, Teaneck East Newark, Kearny, Cliffside Park, Saddle Brook, Saddle River, Fair Lawn, Englewood, Edgewater, Tenafly, Fort Lee, Alpine, Rutherford, Manhattan, and many more! Contact them today at (201) 863-4770 or visit the website.